newsletter - january 2018
Please note the following:
There has been much coverage in the media recently regarding the possibility of an outbreak of influenza over the coming weeks. Please note the influenza information below which is from the HSE Health Protection Surveillance Centre, and also included are measures being undertaken in the school.
Symptoms of Flu
Flu usually presents with sudden onset of fever (temperature over 38º C/100º F) and cough or sore throat.
Other symptoms can include runny or stuffy nose, limb or joint pains, headache, vomiting or diarrhoea.
If you have suspected flu, you should remain at home for 5 days from when symptoms began.
Over the coming weeks teachers will be giving regular reminders to the children re. the following:
1. Practising good hand hygiene by washing your hands often with soap and water, especially after coughing or sneezing.
2. Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze.
Dispose of tissues immediately as household rubbish in the normal way. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow or shoulder, not into your hands.
3. As in previous winters, children may bring in hand sanitisers which will be used before lunch is eaten. Teachers will advise the children on the use and storage in the classroom. Teachers will also inform children later in the term when hands sanitisers will be no longer required.
Please label your child’s hand sanitiser.
Children who may be at higher risk for complications of flu include:
· Those with chronic respiratory, heart, kidney, liver or neurological disease, immunosuppression (weakened immune system whether caused by disease or treatment), diabetes, haemoglobinopathies
· Children with any condition (e.g. cognitive dysfunction, spinal cord injury, seizure disorder or other neuromuscular disorder) that can compromise lung function.
· Children with moderate or severe neurodevelopmental disorders such as cerebral palsy and intellectual disability.
· Those with Down Syndrome
· People on medication for asthma
It is imperative therefore, that you inform the school if your child develops flu like symptoms or other illness.
County Photos will be in our school next Monday.
If you wish to avail of this service please note that you are under no obligation to purchase from the proofs.
Please inform the class teacher if you do not wish for your child to be photographed.